Senior Mechanical Engineer
We’re looking for an experienced, highly-skilled senior mechanical engineer to join our growing Cambridge-based team to play a key role in creating, analysing and developing our state-of-the-art robotic technology for keyhole surgery.
You’ll be part of our ambitious, collaborative and multi-disciplinary product development team, designing and developing innovative and complex electro-mechanical products and systems. Your responsibilities would also cover:
- Developing and implementing creative solutions based on different technologies and key requirements
- Delivering project tasks within agreed time-scales and budget
- Writing complex technical design documentation and test protocols
Naturally you’ll have a strong degree in a relevant engineering discipline and, ideally, you’ll have at significant industry experience. We’d also be looking for you to have some, or all, of the following:
- 8+ years design experience of innovative and complex electro-mechanical systems using SolidWorks CAD
- Proven ability to optimise lightweight structural design for high reliability and ease of manufacture (DFA/M)
- Analytical skills experience, including failure prediction and tolerance analysis (e.g. FEA, CFD, MATLAB and MATHCAD)
- Practical experience of transfer to manufacture activities for low and high volume production
- Experience of operating under formal design processes and designing to IEC 60601, including verification
- Exposure and appreciation of the requirements of operating and developing medical products under ISO13485
- Appreciation of mechatronic systems with high precision and fast response characteristics would be beneficial
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including pension scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, life assurance, and childcare vouchers, and our now famous monthly company BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.
Why join us?
Cambridge Medical Robotics is developing a next-generation robotic system for universal keyhole surgery. The Versius system comprises a surgeon console, modular light-weight robotic arms and a range of wristed 5 mm instruments. The system uses state-of-the-art 3D high-definition imagery, significantly enhanced flexibility, and incorporates haptic feedback to provide surgeons with life-like sensitivity. In short, we’re creating something truly amazing designed to improve the lives of people around the globe; it’s a vision that excites us and hopefully will excite you.
Versius overcomes obstacles to widespread adoption of robotic minimal access surgery, namely robot size, instrument size, versatility, port placement, cost and ease of use, allowing the system to be highly utilised and ultimately cost-comparable to manual laparoscopic surgery.
The Company was formed in 2014 and has its headquarters in Cambridge, United Kingdom. We’re privately owned and enjoy strong financial backing.