Senior Software Engineer
Could you play a key role in developing software that will make a real difference to millions of lives every year? If you’re a highly skilled, enthusiastic, curious, energetic and proactive senior engineer then we’d love you to come and join our software team.
In this role, you’ll plan, coordinate, and develop new robotic technology for use in minimally invasive surgery. Capable of coupling rigorous attention to detail with a creative approach to problem solving, you’ll work as a lead member of a multi-disciplinary team, as well as:
- Architect and code high quality software which is suitable for use in an invasive medical device and is compliant with the relevant medical device standards
- Apply best practice for software development and mentor less experienced employees in this area
- Develop and implement creative solutions based on different technologies and key requirements
- Plan and deliver project tasks within agreed time-scales and budget
- Write complex technical design documentation and test protocols
As well as a 2.1 or above in a computer science degree, relevant engineering, mathematics, or science discipline, with significant experience in developing software for complex systems, you’ll have a track record in a technical leadership role and be able and determined to deliver projects within agreed time-scales. You will bring excellent problem solving skills demonstrated throughout the design process, significant experience of using C/C++ language in embedded and real time applications, and proven experience of software development best practises for ensuring code quality and testability. We’d also value experience of or skill in:
- Architecting and coding real time embedded systems using both bare metal and RTOS architectures
- Design, implementation, and testing of software development for high reliability systems (E.g. Functional Safety / IEC 61508 or Software for Medical Devices / IEC 62304)
- Working within an Agile management framework
- Working to specific coding standards for safety, such as MISRA C or High Integrity C++, and of using static code analysis tools
- Verification of software systems to formal requirements
- Managing continuous integration systems for automated build and regression testing
- A scripting language, such as Python
- Reading electronics schematics and debugging software on target hardware
- Developing software and algorithms for robotic technologies
We offer a competitive salary and a great benefits package (including pension scheme, life assurance, private medical, childcare vouchers, cycle-to-work scheme, and our now famous monthly company BBQs). On top of that, you’ll be joining a company with a fabulous culture of ambition, creativity and teamwork, and where fun is just as valued as our commitment to make surgery better for millions of people.
Why join us?
Cambridge Medical Robotics is developing a next-generation robotic system for universal keyhole surgery. The Versius system comprises a surgeon console, modular light-weight robotic arms and a range of wristed 5 mm instruments. The system uses state-of-the-art 3D high-definition imagery, significantly enhanced flexibility, and incorporates haptic feedback to provide surgeons with life-like sensitivity. In short, we’re creating something truly amazing designed to improve the lives of people around the globe; it’s a vision that excites us and hopefully will excite you.
Versius overcomes obstacles to widespread adoption of robotic minimal access surgery, namely robot size, instrument size, versatility, port placement, cost and ease of use, allowing the system to be highly utilised and ultimately cost-comparable to manual laparoscopic surgery.
The Company was formed in 2014 and has its headquarters in Cambridge, United Kingdom. We’re privately owned and enjoy strong financial backing.